Long Island University Logo Southampton College  
Graduate Student Assistance

To be considered for any of the awards listed below, a student’s home campus must be Southampton, a student’s major must be offered as a degree program at Southampton, and, the student must be accepted and matriculated and must be registered for courses at the Southampton campus each semester, unless special circumstances apply. See the Financial Aid Office for "special circumstances."

Southampton Graduate Campus Alumnus Scholarship

Alumni of Southampton Graduate Campus will receive a discount of $100 per three-credit course. Students must indicate Alumni status on their application for admission and must be accepted and matriculated into a program to receive this award.

Graduate Academic Performance Award (GAPA)

Students with an undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or higher are eligible to receive a discount of $35 per credit. Students must be accepted and matriculated into a graduate program to receive this award

St. Joseph's Scholarship

This scholarship is based on a conferred Bachelor's degree from St. Joseph's College (Patchogue or Brooklyn campuses). The scholarship is a one-third tuition discount that is valid for the duration of the student's degree program at Southampton Graduate Campus to a maximum of 36 graduate credits. Minimum GPA required is 3.0. This award may be applied towards the Master's in Reading Education, the Master's in Elementary Education, Secondary Certification in Education.

Suffolk County Employee Discount

Employees of Suffolk County will receive a one-third discount on the graduate tuition rate. Immediate family of Suffolk County employees are also eligible for a partial discount equivalent to the first six credits of study. Must show proof of employment with Suffolk County. Check with your employer for details. This discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other award funded by Southampton Graduate Campus.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Graduate students are eligible for TAP if they meet the guidelines as set forth by New York State. Any graduate student taking twelve (12) credits or more in any one semester and who did not use up all their TAP on the undergraduate level is encouraged to apply. The application begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Veteran's Administration (VA) Educational Benefits Educational Assistance (GI Bill)

Application Procedure: Application forms, information, and assistance in applying for benefits are available at all VA offices. Forms can also be downloaded from the Internet at www.gibill.va.gov or you can call 1-888-GIBILL1. Students can also log onto www.gibill.va.gov for additional information

Award Schedule: Current monthly benefit rates are determined by the Veterans Administration

Veterans enrolled half-time or more may be entitled to a VA educational loan. The granting of educational loans is based on financial need related directly to the cost of education. Veterans should contact the Veterans Administration Office for current information

Special Arrangements for Veterans and Children of Deceased of Totally Disabled

Most veterans are eligible for benefits under what is commonly called the "GI Bill". The VA allows an educational subsistence payment made directly to veterans. Because of changing legislation, veterans should contact the office to receive current information and applications. Veterans must pay their own tuition and expenses. Often their is a delay of a month or two before the first check arrives at the veteran's address. Please call 1-888-GIBILL1 or visit www.gibill.va.gov for additional information. Contact the College if assistance is required.

Veterans with a disability rating of 20 percent or more should contact the Veterans Administration, which will determine if they are in need of vocational rehabilitation. In such cases, the VA usually pays the tuition, books, and supplies necessary for school and also provides an educational subsistence payment each month.

Dependents of deceased or totally disabled veterans may be eligible for benefits under Public Law 634 and should contact the Veterans Administration.


William D. Ford Direct Loan Program

A student must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credits to be eligible for and receive a student loan. Once all required financial aid forms are on file, including the FAFSA Student Aid Report and the Southampton Graduate Campus Graduate Aid Application, the Financial Aid office will determine your maximum eligibility for subsidized and unsubsidized loans, order a pre-printed promissory note, and inform you by mail when the forms are ready for you to sign. You are encouraged to consult with the Financial Aid office to determine the proper loan amount.

There are two types of loans for which a student may apply. A subsidized loan is need based with the federal government paying on this loan until repayment begins. An unsubsidized loan is non-need based, with the student opting to pay or capiltalize interest during in-school, deferrment, or grace periods. First-time borrowers are encouraged to set up an appointment with Financial Aid to discuss any questions about this program

NOTE: All applications for scholarships described can be obtained through the Admissions Office or the Financial Aid Office. You must file the appropriate application(s) to be considered for any award(s). All Southampton Graduate Campus grants are based on the availability of funds.

Long Island University Riverhead Location